The holiday season is here, which means our daily routines will be disrupted by festive get- togethers, cookies, pies, traveling, and shopping. It can be stressful just thinking about it, but we have some tips to help you stay on top of your healthy habits throughout the season – without feeling overwhelmed.
Practice Healthy Nutrition
- – Drink plenty of water, especially if you’ll be consuming alcoholic beverages at a holiday party. Water will help you avoid dehydration and as a bonus, may also help fill you up so don’t overindulge.
- – Use a smaller plate to help you maintain healthy portion sizes.
- – Don’t force yourself to eat everything. Choose only the things you most enjoy.
- – Take the focus off of food. At your next family gathering, prepare a game or activity that doesn’t involve overindulging in food or alcohol.
- – Don’t neglect your workouts. Make them a priority – even more so during this busy season.
- – If you’re traveling during the holidays, be aware of how much you’re sitting. Excessive sitting is detrimental to your health in many ways. Try to get up and move around at least once every hour, whether you’re traveling by car or plane.
- – Make sure to strive for the recommended amount of sleep, which is 7-8 hours each night for adults.
- – De-stress using a healthy method that works for you – whether that be meditation, exercise, or a warm bath and a book. You’ll enjoy this busy season much more when you have a clear mind.
- – Lastly, listen to your body. Stress, whether it be mental or physical, will take a toll on your health. If you need a pre or post-holiday tune-up, we’re always here to help.